View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 06:52 AM  
Pleasurepays
BANNED - SUPPORTING TUBES

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Gonzo View Post
And excuse me, you may call Europeans ignorant, and I'm sure many of them deserve it, but at least they are basically aware about USA. Ask your average American about European countries, or countries from any other region.
I think that if you asked the average American about Europe, they would know just as much as your average countryman would know about central Africa.

Why is it that Europeans can't seem to wrap their mind around the fact that the average American life is not tied to European culture and countries?

There is a MASSIVE imbalance of information that you do not see. you have tons of news about the US. you watch US movies, read about US celebs, you listen to US music, you hear all day long about US politics etc and of course about Europe, and your neighbors.

You are exposed to far more info everyday about the US... why do you think the US would be bombarded with info about Romania or CZ or NL or any other place? They are countries on another continent and our culture has no connection to them and we have to borders with them and we don't have a massive hardon for Romanian celebs or the Romanian President

You know about the USA because you are constantly exposed to this information in a way that Americans aren't exposed to similar info about Europe. You don't know about the USA because you grew up in a vacuum and then made the tough choice to go out and educate yourself about another nation.
Pleasurepays is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote