View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 PM  
J-SiN

This is the perfect time to be having this debate because the show situation is not improving. It could even be argued that industry B2B shows are in a tailspin which wont recover until a complete reinvention of the show format is embraced.

Connor, I respect the effort you and Jay put behind hosting Cybernet. It is a show I truly enjoy. However much like brand advertising it is all about the perception of value, with critical mass being a big component of any event's perceived value. I'm not sure I agree with your summation that attending a show is a 'take it or leave it' proposition though. Modern day sales and marketing is not about forcing your will on as many 'marks' as possible; we both know you survive today by intimately knowing what your target audience wants and satisfying that need.

If anyone puts on a show, and doesn't understand or listen to the wants of the community, it is not the fault of anyone but that show owner if the community's commercial participation (or lack there of) does not align with the show's ability to break even (or make a buck). Besides no one wants to support a business which doesnt truly represent or support their own agenda or ideals.