View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 10:31 AM  
Varius
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
The Importance of Specifications

Once you have found someone you think can do the job, you hit the step in the process where most people ultimately fail. Most employers fail to provide the worker with adequate specifications. They describe a project briefly, perhaps provide examples of other sites with similar functionality, but leave many finer details to the imagination. This leads to miscommunication, loss of time and money and ultimately may even cause the otherwise solid worker to abandon a project. Let me show you a very small example showcasing the difference between a good specifications document and a bad one.

Specifications Example #1:
  • Please create a script which will scrape all the personal ads off Craigslist. Save them in a file. Upload the file to my server.

Specifications Example #2:
  • Please create a script which will scrape all the personal ads off Craigslist.

• Only scrape ads from Canada.

• Create one file per city, in the format: province_city_personals_strictly-platonic_w4m.txt

• Zip the completed files and upload to my server in the following location: /home/ftp/cl.zip

• The script should have the ability to resume where it left off should it crash or break.

Obviously neither of those are complete, actual specifications documents. However, you can see the difference between Example #1 and Example #2. The main problem with the first example (that is the bad one in case you couldn't tell ;p) is that it leaves so many details up to the programmer. It should not be his job to think up possibilities of how you may want things done, or features you may like to have. It is his job to perform the task you specify. Frankly, whenever I have been given incomplete specs, I simply send them back and ask for a more detailed document.

On the flipside, some people go overboard with regards to specifications and documentation. The programmer often does not need a book to read through; a few simple pages will suffice. Keep it simple and to the point.

How Can I Keep My Programmer (Happy)?

Once you have found a programmer you are happy with, you want to keep them happy. After all, you already know how much of a hassle it will be to find another one. The first and easiest way to do that, is with monetary compensation. Set attainable bonuses often. Is he working late again so your project can be finished ahead of schedule? Treat him to dinner or drinks. Buy him that latest tech gadget he has his eye on. In the grand scheme of things, little things can go a long way. Have regular performance reviews and afford raises accordingly. The most important thing to most programmers is the feeling they are being properly rewarded for their contributions to the company; which are often key in the company's success.

In some situations, revenue or profit-sharing are an excellent solution depending on your company structure, of course. It's a known fact that when an employee shares directly in the success or failure of a company, they will not only be motivated to work harder and more productively, but are MUCH less likely to ever jump ship.

As long as you don't take your programmer for granted, you should be able to enjoy a fruitful long-term relationship and have one less thing to worry about than your competitors.

Closing Notes

To conclude, I hope you find at least some part of this document helpful to your hiring process. While much of it is common sense, it's evident that many out there do not know where to begin when seeking new programming talent. One more piece of advice; if you have a great programmer, keep him to yourself. The moment you start bragging is the moment you find he is no longer available for your work.

As for those programmers who read this, I hope it highlights some points for you to improve upon your own work and skills. No matter how good you think you are, there is always something more to be learned. There is always a better way to do things. Even after a decade, I find myself learning new techniques and meeting new challenges daily. If you aren't pushing yourself to be better, you might as well find a new profession.

About the Author:

An industry veteran of over ten years, Keith is best-known for his time with dating site IwantU.com; he has also been involved with numerous other adult projects and ventures and counts a large number of current adult companies as former clients. He is currently involved in the gaming industry with Sports.com.

Last edited by Varius; 02-22-2010 at 10:38 AM..
Varius is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote