View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 03:32 PM  
borked
Totally Borked

Industry Role:
That is a great writeup Varius. Some common sense stuff in there.

I do disagree with you however on the importance of version control ;)
Personally, all my code is versioned, and each client can access their own repository if they want to (l/p are sent on billing so further programmers can take it on if required).
I've had, too many times franckly, a client say how about add XYZ, and then scrub that idea when it gets delivered cos it doesn't work the way expected. A simple rollback saves me more pain, and the client more $.

Also, because it's versioned, they/I can deploy easily any upgrades additions with a simple svn up.

Trac goes without saying as it means I can have XX clients at any one go and keep my workflow and clients happy, since I'm not having to rely on emails to track what the problem/request is w/r to code. If the customer wants, they can post directly to trac to submit tickets, or they can just email me and I add it as a ticket for them (haven't streamlined my workjflow to auto-add trac tickets yet ;) )

Each to their own, but setting up SVN with Trac is like a 10 minute job if you know what you're doing, and should be the entire core of any freelance programmer's workflow IMVHO.

For coding work - hit me up on andy // borkedcoder // com
(consider figuring out the email as test #1)

All models are wrong, but some are useful. George E.P. Box. p202
borked is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote