View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM  
Varius
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
Excellent article Varius!
I especially agree with the idea of having some small test. There's nothing as frustrating as giving someone a shot at an important project and finding out halfway thru it they can't get the job done, don't follow instructions, doesn't comment code and can't keep a deadline (in sight).
The hard part for me is creating a small demo thats actually something I need done that will demonstrate the persons skill and work ethics.

I also think it's important to use Milestones. That way as a buyer you can get a usable section of code and pay for it step by step and if theres any problems and you need to part ways at least you have some modules or section completed and you can hope the new company can pickup where the old guy/company left you hanging. Also each Milestone gives you an opportunity to improve your communications with the Programmer moving forward to the next Milestone.

I'd say that spec'ing out your project as tightly as possible is critically important! I have even fully mocked up the wireframe in flash to show the site flow and even then you have to go over everything in your specifications document in great detail. You can't leave much to interpretation if you don't want to get disappointed.

What I have found is it's difficult to find a skilled reliable programmer who can also add suggestions to improve your application or site and bring up things you might have overlooked based on their own past experiences. Find someone like that and indeed do what you can to keep them happy!

Joe
All great points Joe and I know you've gone through dozens of bad programming experiences off which to base these points. Other readers would do well to heed your advice