View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM  
Varius
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
I tend to tell the programmers what I want the system to do VERY rough (I have A, I need B, figure it out)
Then I ask them to write the specs, then I review it
Then I ask them to make the flow charts and the pseudo code.
Then I ask them to design the database structure.

After that I ask them to write the code.

This way I can weed out the people that can't come up with a solution fairly fast or can't work independent.

This may not be the best solution for everyone, but having a smaller company with only 4 programmers this appears to be the most efficient way for us

This probably wouldn't work on a freelance / project basis as they are usually dealt with on an agreed price rather than per hour and they are usually not in-house.

P.S. reason to ask developers to write specs is to show that they fully understand the assignment
You must have some technical knowledge yourself though, at least vaguely, to properly review their pseudo code logic and database structure. I think for many who are hiring, they are unfortunately without that knowledge, so it would be hard for them to do.