View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM  
calmlikeabomb
Confirmed User

Lookin' for a job transfer - web development

I've been a web developer at the Florida Institute of Technology for the past 2.5 years. Prior to being hired full-time on salary I freelanced in the adult world for 4.5 years.

All has been good here, but I've began to feel like this place is backing me into a corner. With no room for advancement. There are only two web developer's here @ F.I.T. including myself. We have built many systems such as:
  • Web Content Management System (WCMS) over 200 university websites being managed by students, faculty and staff.
  • PantherPass where all students check-in once on campus.
  • Policy Management System that is used campus wide for the management of official university policies by all staff members and executives.
  • Dorm Inspection System that all Resident Assistance use to inspect dorms and file digital reports every semester.
  • Newsroom for the management of all official university news.
  • Faculty Profile System used by all staff and faculty to manage their own private profiles that ties into the universities telecommunications system.

To make a long story short, we lost our graphics designer over 6 months ago and everything being produced here looks like shit. He did not like working here, and the university has shown no interest in hiring a new person until last week - when our other web developer placed his 2 week notice. Our "webmaster" doesn't know how to code or manage projects and sends me out to do all of the consultations with clients.

We developed a new home page that has been ready to go live for the past 4 months. located here:

http://web-demos.fit.edu/redesign/prototypes/2.3.5/

However, the politics are so bad here it will probably never get launched. I'm sick and tired of building things that never get used and I'm over looking at the horrible existing website. The whole redesign is turning into a "design by committee" project. Shots are being called and demanded by people who care nothing about usability.

I'm tired of dealing with all the politics and working with school content. I don't foresee the need for any new major system on campus in the future and can't see myself here doing trivial tasks such as fixing broken links, client consults, etc. The university has no budget for web which means I can't attend conferences, workshops, or anything to help further myself as a web developer.

I'm extremely over worked for the pay. My current salary is only $36,000 per year, but I was hired without a college degree, which I now hold. They haven't even mentioned a pay raise to me and I've asked about it multiple times. I was told $42,000 once I obtained my degree. Educational benefits are really all this place has going, but I'm willing to quit and work from the house remotely for $750 per week, but I'd even consider $600 - with absolutely no benefits, but I'd request weekly pay.

Anyways, sorry for the short version of what really is a much longer rant.

If anyone knows of a good opportunity please drop me a line. I can provide more details about my education and skills set upon inquiry. One of my first gigs in adult was with Choker Media LLC. You can visit chickenboard.com to see I was a moderator and worked on the Turbo Traffic Trader project.

AIM: calmdev
Email: [email protected]

Thanks