View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by wig View Post
The way they have it phrased is possible, but it doesn't read as cause and effect. I probably took your statement the wrong way (as one causing the other). Weakness in currency is definitely part of the inflation picture. Of course, specific prices may rise on normal supply and demand factors, even with a strengthening currency.

Rising interest rates are normally associated with reducing inflation because it is designed to slow down demand in a heating economy, thus reducing prices.

My take on what would happen (actually, this is what I think is likely anyway over the next 6-12 months) is that defaulting on the debt will put additional pressure on an already limp economy and actually have the temporary effect of another "flight to quality" where the Dollar strengthens (or remains range bound) and treasuries have a decent bid under them.

Under this scenario, I expect what minimal inflation we have to peter out and a general disinflation (possibly slipping into deflation) to take hold. Basically, the same type of pressures that occurred in 2008 when we saw broad assets declines in everything except the US$ and Bonds (although the longer this goes on the more difficult it will be for the long end to hold yields this low).

Interesting. I was reading the other day that some experts expect silver and gold to decrease in value over the next few months in a "correction." Do you think something like a short term strengthening of the dollar could lead to this occurring?
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote