View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 10:03 AM  
seeric

Industry Role:
Anyone else been getting a higher level of scam/extortion phone calls lately?

I'm sure many of you know the new scam out there already.

People call your phone and try to have you call them back or they are "pressing charges" and "Fbi will arrest you" if you don't call back type deal. Its a common scam to "settle" with them under duress.

It seems to have reached an all time high lately. Lots of my friends have reported getting these calls too, so it must be just on fire like the Nigerian email scams of the 2000's.

They are normally of Indian, Thai, or Philipino decent, as determined by their accents, and weird pauses in the phone lines from overseas calling.

This particular one this morning demanded I call back, and if I didn't "i had better be careful of myself". LOL.

Since I'm pretty much a cash based character, I can assume that they got my number from any of the millions of forms I fill out on a daily basis. I maintain a throwaway phone that I use just for Internet crap signups, etc.

The ones that have called me have not been very convincing, I wonder what type actually falls for it? I'm picturing the guy "consequences will never be the same guy" as the type of person they get to give them money.

Any one else experiencing this new phishing scam first hand?

Heres some news I found on it: http://www.pro8news.com/news/local/P...129839573.html

Last edited by seeric; 09-21-2011 at 10:05 AM..
seeric is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote