View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 PM  
Rochard
Jägermeister Test Pilot

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
I had this happen to me over the summer. Sitting in a park with my wife and her friend as I was eating lunch reading my kindle. My wife's friend was smoking and apparently, you're not allowed to smoke in that park.
So your wife's friend was breaking the law?

Quote:
halfpint nailed it!
The cop walks up and tells her you can't smoke in the park. She apologized as he asked us for our ID's. We are all in our mid-40's and middle class people just enjoying the park as this cop then asked my wife for her ID. I told my wife you don't have to show him your ID because you've not committed a crime.
Your friend was smoking in a public park, breaking a public ordinance. A law was in fact broken, and at that point police had the right to ask for ID.

Quote:
This cop flipped out and asked me for mine. I stood up and crossed my arms as he started to bait me with an "aggressive stand" type BS. I said no, as my wife flipped her cellphone camera on. The cop then said he's doing an investigation as my reply, then investigate, as I refuse to show him my ID.
So, you friend is breaking the law, your going to question a police officer doing his job, and then you turn cell phone camera on him? That might have been against the law too depending on what state your in.

Quote:
He calls for backup and then asked my name, address, DOB, and told him my ID information is correct. As he goes through my wallet, you can see the color in his face change, as he soon discovers I am an ACLU carrying caring member.
He called for back up because someone broke a city law - a stupid one at that - and you got in his face.

You understand what happened, right? This poor schmuck makes $40k a year, he's doing his job because some jack ass complained about people smoking in the public park, and asked your friend to put the cigarette out. You the officer flack back, turn a video camera on him, and that point he's no longer going to be nice about it. This was a simple matter that YOU quickly blew out of proportion. All that needed to be said was "sorry officer" and that would have been that. Instead you got your afternoon destroyed, the cops now have your name on file, you friend got a fine, and you got nothing but a huge hassle.

Are some police officers dicks? Of course. But in this case your friend was breaking some silly law, and because you were an ass you hassled.

YNOT MAIL | THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
Rochard is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote