View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM  
raymor
Confirmed User

Thanks so much. Always great to get your thoughts as a successful industry veteran. As a matter of fact, yesterday I was thinking about contacting you to get your thoughts on some things. It's interesting to me you say 10%-15% in this industry. Most industries are closer to 25%-30%.

A little tidbit I've learned is that you don't ever want one employee, not for long. At least in the US and some other countries, being an employer is bitch, so make it worth it. Federal taxes four times per year. State taxes. Unemployment taxes every three months, and Congress constantly chasing the rules, recently setting withholding rates for only a few months at a time because they can't do their job and pass an annual budget.

If you're going to deal with all that crap, get to three and four employees as fast as you can. Contract it out if you only need one person part time.

There were comments about nobody hiring. We're probably getting ready to do some hiring in November. Depending on what happens between now and then, we'll either hunker down or go for it, expanding rapidly. I say that because for example our old insurance was $400 / month per employee. If it turns out that Obamacare adds another $1,000 per employee along with new taxes, we'll have to hunker down in survival mode for a while. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by raymor; 03-27-2012 at 08:47 PM..
raymor is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote