View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:04 PM  
TheSquealer
BANNED

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWB View Post
Exactly. Here we are 8 years later and take a look around you.

Forget the discussions, look at the state of the industry. That's what 8 years of this has done.
I don't agree with you on that. Everyone is blaming their failure/decline on "tube sites" - however, free content was always made available to surfers. The only reason tube sites didn't already exist before 2004 was bandwidth/availability of broadband.

It was always destined to happen. More free content was always going to happen when technology made it possible.

Quote:
Either way, Pandora's box is open. Only new laws or changes to existing ones will close it.
What laws? To change what exactly?

This is my problem with these discussions. Tube sites with full length videos will NEVER go away. That's where the traffic goes. As long as thats where traffic goes, thats what people will be offering. The sooner people accept they aren't going away and get busy, the better off they will be. The more people continue to hope and pray the genie will somehow get put back into the bottle, the more quickly they will continue to fail and die.

Knowing you are a producer, I certainly sympathize with you and the problem of people ripping videos, watermarking them (or not) and re-uploading them to tube sites. This is an industry which has always put little to no emphasis on content protection - even today where its much easier and more options are available and where services are available which will get it removed.

However, people keep failing to understand that just because a video is over 2min doesn't mean it was stolen. Just because videos are 10-15-20 mins... doesn't mean they are stolen. Tons of sponsors and rights owners upload them and even tube sites themselves license content. That's not going to change, long videos aren't going away.

Free, full length videos are here to stay. Period. End of story. Either webmasters can learn to live with that fact and work with it, or they die.

It's totally insane to me to see people still talking in 2012 as if tube sites are the problem. The situation more free content was ALWAYS coming. It is here. It is what it is.

Last edited by TheSquealer; 04-09-2012 at 05:06 PM..
TheSquealer is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote