View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13 PM  
GrantMercury
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTK View Post
Alright, just for fun, I'm gonna take these one by one. I've been voting libertarian for 20+ years. If you want to put a simplistic label on me (which you seem fond of doing), you'd label me a pragmatic/progressive libertarian.

I'm no more of a selfish prick than the next guy AND i completely accept and embrace that we are a society.

I was primarily raised by 3 human women. My mom, grandmother and aunt. As far as I know, no wolves were involved.
My grandmother taught me how to read and write.
I have benefitted from social programs and/or taxpayer-funded projects

I have done none of these things. Well, I've prepared my own food...

I do believe we are often robbed by the government, ON BEHALF OF large corporations and other big money interests, and the lazy 5ish% who want to do nothing more than subsist on welfare etc. Anyone who looks into the numbers will see that Corporate Welfare is FAR, FAR greater than the welfare paid out to the lazy 5ish%.

Anyone who makes a few minutes of effort to identify the alleged 47% will find out that 85-90% of them are the elderly and the working poor.

That said, i think 99% of people (regardless of their political leanings) don't make any effort to do their own homework. Instead, they just regurgitate talking points and have nothing to offer when asked to defend their positions.

At that point, they usually do one (or more) of four things:
1) Disappear from the discussion
2) Change the subject
3) Ignore comments that challenge their positions
4) Do silly things like make ignorant blanket statements about those they are ignorantly criticizing, post ignorant silly images about those they are ignorantly criticizing, etcetera etcetera.
Does this last bit make you look in the mirror a bit? It should.
You're far more honest that any of the Libertarians I know.

And of course I'm making generalizations. People do it every fucking day. But in GENERAL, Libertarians DO deny benefitting from social programs and taxpayer-funded projects, and DO refuse to accept that we are an interdependent society.
GrantMercury is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote