View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM  
Forest
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGirls Josh View Post
i had a HUGE objection to the 3rd step, turning over your life to the will of a higher power. That alone kept me from even considering any meetings for 5 years.

But things got so bad that i decided to give it a try. i went to meetings, but it didnt work, because i did not really try their suggestions to stay clean. I kept my user friends in my life, kept the secret of my using from my family, & did not try to connect with people at the meetings. so as soon as something went south, i went back to using.

As this year began, i decided to make every effort i can to stop using. i have followed all the suggestions, got a lot of phone #s, called them, have gone to every meeting, got rid of my user friends, changed my number, told my family about my using.

I am 36 days clean after being totally unable to go 2 hours without another hit. Its all because i have new friends, who have been through the withdrawals & burning desires & provide support when i need it, & believe me i need it. I am grateful for this program because i have found it impossible to stop by myself. i simply have no willpower without the support of other recovering addicts.

i found the higher power objections were a mirage. the spiritual side of the program is not religious dogma. it allows one to develop their own views about our spiritual nature. i still have issues with steps 2 & 3, but hope to work through them in time.

great program, & if anyone is using & feels hopeless about stopping, i suggest you give it a try. it works if you work it & die if you dont.

i struggled with this for a long time as well. I made the meetings my higher power for a long time. I knew they could help me stay clean.

Higher power does not have to be "god" related IMHO
Forest is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote