View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 02:42 AM  
evil0x

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tent Pitcher View Post
That is no longer true. Rackspace's managed hosting is absurdly overpriced, but you can't compare their Cloud Server services to a crappy VPS and it competes directly with Amazon's AWS at the enterprise level. For people trying to get the most bang for their buck, AWS and Rackspace both offer the most cost-effective solutions, so long as you have some administrative experience.

You do realize that most of the VPS's out there are just reselling scaled-down AWS and Rackspace services, right?
When i said the servers are overpriced i meant their Dedicated ones, Yes its managed but still $1089/month for 1x Quad-Core 12GB RAM is insane...
I could get 5 unmanaged servers with Dual Xeon E5-2620 or 10-12 servers with Dual Xeon L5420. (that's about x20 the power for the same price)

Now reliability is important and all that, but if you scale things up especially with dedicated servers, there is no justification to have our monthly bills inflated that high.

As for the Cloud, even the most basic unmanaged cloud 512mb\1vcpu\20 Mbps is $16.06/mo.
The same Xen VPS would cost 5$
OpenVZ would have 2GB RAM+, 2-4 VCPU, for that price.

If we go higher it gets absurd, like the unmanaged 8GB RAM rackspace cloud ($350.40/mo), Why get that and not a dual E5-2620, 32GB RAM dedi server for 200$ lol ?
evil0x is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook