View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM  
ReggieDurango
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Delancey View Post
Tranny (and more-so shemale, which is also used in the press release) has been used as an othering/marginalizing word and as hate speech. The community has rejected this term, and prefers trans/trans*/transgender. GLAAD has made this very clear in their literature: http://www.glaad.org/transgender and I'm surprised that a website featuring trans women and made for people who are attracted to them would circumvent any thought on the issue and go with what's easiest, regardless of how this perpetuates a word that has fallen into ill-repute.
Okay, I hear what you're saying. However, maybe there's another way to think about this. The word queer of course has for years been historically known as a very derogatory term for gay people. However at my college and I know at many other colleges, the gay population there embraced the term and owned it as a way to express themselves. They had parties entitled "QUEER BASH" and other types of things like that so maybe, you guys should just embrace the term "tranny" and make it have a new definition like these gay populations of these colleges I'm talking about.

Last edited by ReggieDurango; 07-29-2013 at 11:18 AM..
ReggieDurango is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote