View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 AM  
Horny Joe
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
THank you for checking! I edited the 404-redir last night myself, sending to another site.

Did some checking on cookie stuffing and I also read that redirecting 404 is looked upon as cookie stuffing. I never thought of it like that. I have done that for a long time - either to a site with my ref. url or to another site of mine. I will have to check with AWE what they say about 404 redirecting. Most companies I know think it is OK.

Thank you for looking at my site. Got a bit paranoid. Had a rather big hacking incident some months ago, resulting in a total mess, making me almost just give up it all. Lost any, many blogs.

The site it is redirecting to, is a cam site. As I said, I changed it yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Redirecting 404 traffic is cookie stuffing in my opinion.
Let's take this example, a desktop browser that is requesting favicon. Your server response:

Code:
teensofukraine.com/favicon.ico

GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1
Host: teensofukraine.com
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:26.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/26.0 AlexaToolbar/alxf-2.19
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
DNT: 1
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:26:42 GMT
Server: Apache/2
Location: trackfwc.com/cgi-bin/fwcc.cgi/5/48020:teensofukraine
Content-Length: 313
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
X-Cache: MISS from remotelogin
X-Cache-Lookup: MISS from remotelogin:8080
Via: 1.0 remotelogin (squid/3.1.19)
Connection: keep-alive
This is the most common cookie stuffing method beside stuffing via 1px images, the missing favicon.
Well, if this is a hacker's work, he is just a script kiddie.
No need to bash AWE's aff managers, just explain them the issue, although I know cookie stuffing webmasters that are still promoting them.

Anyway, he is wasting time cookie stuffing on sites with low traffic that are not even targeted.
Horny Joe is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote