View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM  
Rand
Industry Vet

Industry Role:
"Gone Girl" is very good. Intelligent, suspenseful and just twisted. One of the best murder mystery stories I've seen in years.

Based on a true life story, "Unbroken" is good, but is being pitched all wrong. It's not so much an inspirational movie as it is a documentation of all (or at least much) that Zamperini endured. It's dark and sometimes hard to watch. But see it. Jack O'Connell carried this movie well. It may win an Oscar for cinematography and deservedly so.

"The Imitation Game" is superb story telling, and also based on a true life story. The first line in the film is "Are you paying attention?" and that's your queue to do so. Alan Turing was a pioneering computer scientist and what he achieved saved millions of lives and preceded modern technology. Benedict Cumberbatch brings this character to the screen in perfect pitch and this is a story that indeed had to be told. It's my vote for Best Picture (from what I've seen so far).

"Birdman" is about as quirky as you're going to find, giving both Keaton and Norton what may be the best roles of their careers. Yet, this movie was not made for the masses. It's an industry film made to achieve award nominations. And it will get them.

"The Grand Budapest Hotel" is overrated in my opinion (and I love Wes Anderson films). But the critics love it. We shall see.

I still haven't seen Interstellar, The Theory of Everything, Selma, Boyhood, Big Eyes, or American Sniper. I'm seeing Mr Turner tomorrow night.

But yeah... there are some really decent films out right now.

Payment Industry - Communications - Quality Assurance
Rand is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote