View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33 PM  
Relentless
www.EngineFood.com

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifissio View Post
the first problem is that bruce lee is 100lb lighter than me...
Weight is less important than technique.

Quote:
the second problem is physics...mass x acceleration...
Only if we are comparing the two of you charging at each other chest to chest and trying to determine who will bounce in what direction. As a matter of physics it's the weight of his foot * the acceleration vs the weight and structural integrity of the orbital bone around your eye.... a strike doesn't hit your entire body, it hits one specific part... and that is exactly the kind of thing Lee professed throughout his life. It's a point you may have missed.

The reason weight matters so much in fights is much more about endurance (a smaller man carrying a larger one exhausts much quicker) and when all other things are EQUAL it matters an awful lot (i.e. one boxer vs another). You take two unequal fighters and weight becomes much less important. If you don't think much of Lee, fine... but I'd be very slow to agree to get in a cage with Aldo or Mighty Mouse no matter how much more you weigh than they do.

Quote:
the third problem is the limitations of the human body in relation to speed and acceleration...bruce lee is at best 10-20% faster than me...I am however 100% heavier...
Ask Pernell Whitaker about that. He was likely 50% faster than you and got hit only when he decided to trade or was well past his prime. If 20% allows you to hit and not be hit, 20% is all that matters.

Quote:
the fourth problem is that when something light strikes something that is twice its size but made of the same material, the result is always the same...a kid can run with maximum force towards me, while I am inanimate, and he will always bounce away...always...
If you punch a brass doorknob you will break your hand. If you punch the center of that same cheap wood interior door your hand will go right through it. Knowing where and how to hit determines the strength of the material you are hitting. I can kick your knee all day and never feel much pain myself... but if I start kicking your shins Ill be taking plenty of damage. A kid may run maximum force into you, a smaller martial artist would stop a few feet before running into you and pick you apart. Watch the way Randy Couture destroyed James Toney while weighing 25 pounds less than him.

Quote:
royce would beat me with GI no problem and I have no problem with this...I would let royce beat me no-gi out of pure respect for him...the only and only reason I would beat him with no-gi is that I am very big and very strong...if he was my weight he would destroy me like a little toy
Royce would beat you with a Gi, without a Gi, in a house, on a farm, with a mouse, in an airplane, while SCUBA diving or anywhere else Royce wanted to beat you. Skill and technique are infinitely more important than weight. If your skill level isn't at least very close, your weight becomes less and less important.

I am 6'4 245... and I'd be much more concerned about a 5'8 160 pound properly trained fighter than I am about a 6'8 320 pound amateur. In a 5 round cage fight a giant amateur may win, but Aldo would likely turn me into an amputee and Royce could kill literally me if he chose to do so. I am not a professional fighter... but I am smart enough to know who not to fight...

Website Secure | Engine Food
ICQ# 266-942-896
Relentless is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote