View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 10:31 AM  
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecummings View Post
Not directly related to this thread, but in 1964-1965 while stationed as a U.S. Army Captain in Berlin, every few weeks as my turn came up to be the overnight Duty Officer for U.S. Army, Berlin, one mandatory checklist item was for me to go inside the Spandau Prison and "lay eyes" upon Rudolf Hess to insure that he (Hitler's former Deputy) was physically still there in custody. Every three months, the Russians, British, French and Americans rotated responsibility for running Spandau. Hess passed away long ago.
this is actually a much bigger mystery

Quote:
Hess died on 17 August 1987 at the age of 93 in a summer house that had been set up in the prison garden as a reading room. He took an extension cord from one of the lamps, strung it over a window latch, and hanged himself. Death occurred by asphyxiation. A short note to his family, thanking them for all they had done, was found in his pocket. The Four Powers released a statement on 17 September ruling the death a suicide. Initially buried at a secret location to avoid media attention or demonstrations by Nazi sympathisers, Hess was re-interred in a family plot at Wunsiedel on 17 March 1988, and his wife was buried beside him when she died in 1995.[123] Spandau Prison was demolished to prevent it from becoming a Nazi shrine.[124]

His lawyer, Dr Seidl, felt Hess was too old and frail to have managed to kill himself. Wolf Rüdiger Hess repeatedly claimed that his father had been murdered by the British Secret Intelligence Service to prevent him from revealing information about British misconduct during the war.
Rudolf Hess - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote