View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 10:49 PM  
RandyRandy
Clips still sell!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna mo View Post
i like getting shit on the outside that i'd usually never make at home- killer burrito, chinese, pizza. certainly all of which can be decently done at home, that said a killer sandwich can be made at home but it's very tricky to make a killer burrito at home.
It depends on the type of sandwich. You can make great paninis at home - and don't discount that waffle iron for just waffles. And of course people who buy grilled cheese sandwiches instead of making them don't know what they're missing. And I'll put my tuna salad/egg salad/chicken salad up against anybody's.

BUT, it's almost impossible to recreate a real Italian hero at home. Because in my opinion you need 4-5 different types of cold cuts that must be thinly and freshly sliced. That's the hard part to replicate at home.

And by the time you acquire the bread, dressing, oregano (gotta have oregano), the cold cuts, cheese, lettuce, onions and tomatoes (all of which must be cut/shredded properly) you might as well just go to an Italian deli and be done with it.

That said, I live in a country where most items are Halal and there is not a single Italian Deli in all of Malaysia. Hence, about every two months or so, I buy all the fixings at a premium supermarket that caters to foreigners (a frozen Butterball turkey will set you back about $14 a pound!) and have Italian heroes at my place for a select group of friends. Sets me back about $250 for 10 sandwiches.
RandyRandy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote