View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 PM  
wankawonk
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineistaken View Post
Fair points, but lets take:

a) smart marketing guy. He can simply hire a programmer to do a job and reap all the benefits being site owner.
b) smart programmer. He can build the site and then what? Try to be marketing guy? Hire marketing guy?

a) option seems more likely to be a success and less hassle in my eyes.

In a similar manner as being a sales guy is much better than manufacturing guy in terms of who would be more likely to grow company (sales guy who simply hires manufacturer or manufacturer making the product himself).

Sales guys > production guys, imho.
To some extent I agree with this, but it's only true if you have capital. Building, scaling, and maintaining a quality site that can actually compete is worth something on the order of $50k-$100k of programming time, and potentially a lot more. I know that sounds high when there's programmers on this forum offering their time for cheap as shit, but they can't actually create a quality, profitable site. If they could, they would; they wouldn't be selling their time for chump change. So if it's day one in adult for you, you're going to have a much easier time if you can program well than if you can't.

Also, remember that if a smart programmer makes a good site, he won't really need a marketing guy. Good sites tend to be successful. I'm proof of this--I started a tube aggregator a little over a year ago, and without anything but some cheap black-hat link packages it's getting over half a million users a day.
wankawonk is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote