View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 PM  
Paul Markham
Too old to care

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
I am not sure how old you are, but they said this thirty years ago when I was first taking computer classes... This was back in the day of Lotus 1-2-3. They told us that the future workplace would be automated, and computers would do our jobs. This happened to a degree, but a the same time this created new jobs. Computers made our work easier and made us all more efficient, but in order to have this we have to have people design the computers, build the computers, code the software, teach us how to use it, and then an IT department to keep it all up and running.

Sure, eventually we will have burgers and food created on location by a robot. But we will need someone to design these robots, build them, program them, and the maintain them, etc. Less and less people will work in industry service jobs, and more people will work in technology jobs. At the same time people will be willing to pay more to have food prepared by a person, and to be served by a person.
They said that new jobs would replace those in the auto industry, steel, ship building, clothing manufacturing. They were wrong.

People need managers, train, motivate, organise. That requires more people than those needed to design, build, program and maintain them. All that are being done by robots.
Paul Markham is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote