View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMikey View Post
^^
Or we could just go back to how things were in the pre-Obamacare days. As there was nothing really wrong with healthcare in the US for vast majority of the people.
Unless you happened to either be poor or have a pre-existing condition.

I have a pre-existing condition. I have had it my entire life so it is not going away. Before Obamacare I was not able to buy insurance because the pre-existing condition disqualified me so I had to pay for a shitty insurance policy that covered big things like heart attacks etc (although I'm sure they would try to say my asthma would have caused the big problem) and I had to pay for all the asthma related care out of pocket which can get expensive. This meant ordering medicine online because it was literally 25% of the cost of buying it at my local pharmacy and just hoping they didn't get delayed at customs.

The system before worked fine if you had a job at a reasonably big company that provided insurance for you (or that you helped pay for). If the company was too small their insurance may not have covered pre-existing conditions or they may not have offered insurance at all. If you were self-employed or you were working for a company that didn't offer insurance or that the co-pays were so high you couldn't afford them, it didn't work so well.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote