View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 AM  
XSAXS
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankawonk View Post
1. It's very, very illegal to provide a platform where anonymous people can profit off of stolen content. So you need to know who people are and have their tax info and shit before you can allow them to profit off of ad space on your website.
Hi wankawonk.

Very good post. I agree that OP's setup is really problematic.

But I'm unclear about this point... Is it indeed "very, very illegal" if the anonymous uploader assumes/claims the banner ad spots by inserting his own affiliate code?

I could see that if the website owner was paying the uploader directly for posting the stolen content... yeah, sure. Illegal as fuck. And if the website owner is paying the uploader directly, then yeah, he'd need tax info, etc.

But in the OP's case, it's somewhat like a Free Host arrangement. OP is hosting the video and the banner ads for free. All the monetary agreements are actually between the uploader and his own sponsor(s). So I don't see why OP would need to be involved with that.

Am I mistaken?

Having said that... if OP aims to proceed, he'd better have a quick and easy DMCA/removal process or he's going to have problems with his own web host.
XSAXS is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote