View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 05:49 PM  
Bladewire
StraightBro

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I imagine that would be one of those jobs that is very interesting at times, very sad at times, and very disturbing.

I saw a documentary awhile back about these investigators that work for Los Angeles County. When someone dies and doesn't have an easy to find next of kin to notify, these investigators take over and try to find family to claim the remains/belongings of these people.

One of the cases was really sad. A trucker had a heart attack and died in a hotel. No foul play suspected, he was in his 50's, overweight, and living a poor health lifestyle. They started looking and found out he may have a son, but they couldn't find him. After a few months, his body was cremated then after a few years with no luck his ashes were put in a large, mass grave with all the ashes from the other unclaimed bodies that year. It was sad to see this guy died and soon after it was like he never existed and very few people even cared.

It looked like one of those jobs that would be very intersting, but also very sad.
When I was 18 I worked in an old folks home for a year. It changed my life. I think every teen should be mandated to volunteer in an old folks home for a bit. You really get a full circle perspective of the ending of a full life lived. I had a woman I cared for that was an author, had an amazing life, kids around the country, and she'd just gone blind. But she'd tell me the most vivid stories from her writing and her life, and I'd sit at the foot of her bed, or brush her hair while she did so, it was like eyesight at this stage was secondary to here imigination and good health. So many stories from the old folks home and lessons learned that last a lifetime, like how easy it is for family you raised to set you aside but for 3 visits a year.

Bladewire is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote