View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM  
Robbie
Leaner, Meaner, Faster

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaldBastard View Post
So your saying its good that immigrants retain their culture and heritage, and share it with us in their new found countries rather than fully integrating?

Hope for you yet Robbie ;P
I think that they can retain their culture and heritage and fully integrate at the same time.
Human beings are amazing. We find a way to adjust to almost any situation.

I don't see any reason why Chinese communities can't surround themselves with their own culture and still be able to drive two blocks over and go to a Burger King too.

I have always loved other cultures and think it's arrogant for anyone to demand that other people abandon their way of life (as long as it's not including anything that tramples on their civil rights as pertaining to those living in the USA)

Having said that...in the world of commerce here in the U.S., it's far more efficient to have ONE language (English) and to observe the "norms" of society while in that environment.

If a Chinese business owner is ONLY interested in selling to Chinese customers who only speak Chinese (probably a small, small percentage in the U.S. as the vast majority speak English better than I do)...then they could conduct all their business using Chinese.
If, however, they wish to expand and make a lot more money...it's best for them to use English as their main language in the U.S.

Anyway, you get what I'm saying.
There's no reason that cultures can't be preserved and at the same time assimilation into society can occur.