View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 06:42 PM  
kane
Too lazy to set a custom title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Do you have a 401(k) or IRA to stack on as well?

My dad retired a few years ago from his 1st career, collects that pension. Started out with a new career that did not quite make the same money so wanted to draw pension to retain the same lifestyle. Then he winds up landing a new career significantly higher paying than his 30 year career.

Lesson to the younger crew: don't stick with a shitty career just because it's decent and you don't think you can do better. You likely can. Look.

Those that can stack retirement revenue flows can live a pretty nice life. Would hate to only have one of those flows. Social Security only? Yuck.
I used to work with a retired woman who had a pension and social security. Those things paid her bills and allowed her to live a nice, middle class life. However, she decided she wanted to travel so she worked part time during the year to earn enough money to spend her summers traveling. She and her sister would go to place, rent a car, then spend a few weeks exploring it before moving on. The year I worked with her they were going to fly to New York then use a combination of cars and trains to see all of that New England area as well as Philly and some other surrounding place.

Sounded like a nice way to spend the summer.
kane is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote