View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 PM  
HairyChick
Slowly dying

Industry Role:
I had close relatives move from their house of 40+ years as the city became a city of black people. Being young, I asked why they were moving. “The neighborhood isn’t Jewish anymore.” I asked if that were important and got a lecture on ‘staying with your own kind.’

I asked Mom why they didn’t like black people or shvatzahs. She taught me that some black people were bad but not all and not to judge on skin color or think all are bad if some aren’t good.

These same people always said, “why don’t you have any Jewish friends?” and I’d say, “why does it matter? It’s not like we talk about religion.” At nine or ten, I didn’t understand. Now I see their train of thought, though I disagree.

If I had a choice of neighborhoods, I’d live where the beach were close, stores were familiar, and where crime stats were better.

I rented an apartment in Boston that was mostly Hispanic and black. Didn’t phase me at all. But people heard the city and made comments about “spics and ni**ers.” The neighborhood was Hispanic and black.

Crime happens in white neighborhoods, too. And I know someone is thinking, “better stuff to steal.”
HairyChick is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote