View Single Post
Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM  
Tube Ace
So Fucking Banned

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I did this for a couple of years in the early 2000's. I'm curious, do you speak Spanish? If not how did you find places like Mexico and South America for a non-Spanish speaker? I stuck to places that either spoke English or had a lot of English speakers like Norway, Australia, parts of Europe and the United States.

I only took a PC laptop with me with no extra monitors, although there were times I wish I had an extra and would have been more efficient.
I speak a little Spanish, enough to get by. I know enough to order food and ask for the check at restaurants. "La cuenta por favor" means "The check please". Google translate works well enough if I can't articulate myself sufficiently. I can simply type out a sentence in English and read it aloud Spanish or show them my phone screen. I did this the first time I joined a Gym in Cancun and needed a 1 month membership.

I've learned numbers by playing Poker with Spanish speaking players. I try to learn a few new words in Spanish per day. More touristy areas allow me to not depend on my Spanish so much, as the workers can speak better English than I do Spanish. I've only had a couple mishaps of misunderstanding. My favorite was when I said to the bartender "Hey cabron, la cuenta por favor". I thought "cabron" meant "buddy", but it means "dumbass".

I greatly dislike working without the additional monitors. I'm much more efficient with them.
Tube Ace is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote