View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 03:47 AM  
Paul Markham
Too old to care

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentKnight View Post
When "experts in their field" expect a disproportionate amount of the overall revenue, one is forced to lean towards being the best one man band they can be.

I've always preferred working my ass off in all the various fields than paying exorbitant compensation to middlemen. I was already proficient with the cameras, post-editing and most aspects of production...meanwhile my wife self-taught herself to html-code while I designed all the web graphics.

The only aspect we third-party contracted was webhosting. And eventually we took that over ourselves.
Designers and programmers are one off with a back up plan to keep it working. The only things that require constant work are traffic generation and content production. Neither can be done by "jack of all trades" people.

Content production especially. You need to constantly looking for the right models, shooting them properly in different locations, to the right standards of the niche and style. Otherwise you have nothing different that 1,000s of other sites have to attract affiliates and surfers. Nothing to really convert, retain and keep coming back. Look at all the truly successful sites and see what separates them from the rest. Because if you could be a "Jack of all trades" outfit, so could 1,000s of others.

Quote:
Marketing was primarily our achilles heel. We did a LOT of marketing and promotion, but we weren't as proficient as we could've been. That was the only area we regret not contracting out.
Marketing something no better than the next man's product is tough. Marketing something that's better than the rest is easy.
Paul Markham is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote