View Single Post
Old 05-05-2020, 06:45 PM  
JesseQuinn
feeding the wolves

Industry Role:
I'm pretty furious with my government right now (I can call it mine as I'm now a citizen)

Jamaica started off with one of the best responses in the region to the outbreak (I was giving them serious props at first) and promptly went downhill. first by not closing the borders quickly enough (on this I do understand hindsight is 20/20) and then by allowing a BPO to continue operating under unsafe conditions even as workers were speaking out about the unsafe conditions

workers at the BPO were in close quarters, with no proper cleaning or safety equipment like masks and as a result the infection rate doubled almost overnight. half the infections nation-wide now are either people who worked at Alorica (the BPO) or were in contact with someone who does

then as the cherry on top they allowed a rich expat from Turks (I used to live there as well, the expats are entitled pieces of shit) to fly in for medical care, resulting in the head of surgery at one of the biggest hospitals here ending up in quarantine as the dude from Turks was infected with the virus

all while Jamaicans working on cruise ships have been denied entry to their own home nation for weeks

so to sum it up the economy is at a standstill, a huge parish vital to the Kingston economy was under quarantine for 2 weeks, at least 80% of my friends are out of work (tourism, events, bar workers, home helpers) and all because the gov was afraid to stand up to an international corp that does not give a fuck about this nation or its people

we're all making the best of it and people are for the most part trying to help by being responsible, wearing masks and following the 6pm curfew but damn. it did not have to be this way

money and power always win. this place is changing but not fucking fast enough

</end rant>
JesseQuinn is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote