View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 03:35 PM  
LiLi
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTT View Post
Only CB can fix this particular problem, by simply not allowing performers to use the affiliate program, whitelisting allowed links/URLs on profiles to a handful of social networks and banning anyone who tries to get around it. The fact that they don't do this should be a pretty big neon flashing sign that they don't care who they're paying 20% to as long as they're making money.
Here is why they don't ban models from the program and why it might not be the best solution to the problem: you get a much higher conversion rate when you have performers pushing the audience to sign up than when you leave it to happenstance. Models will direct members to sign up when they have some skin in the game. If you take them off the affiliate program they will not be interested in pushing anyone to sign up, then the conversion rate drops for everyone across the board. They need to put it in their bios so models mention it when they stream, that's when it's most effective. You could force them to take the links off their bios, sure, but they will continue to lure their own whales to signup with their affiliate link offsite. You could ban them from the program altogether, but how can you enforce it? They can simply open a normal user account and use that affiliate link instead.

There is no solution to this issue. It comes with the game. Affiliates need to understand while on paper it's "lifetime revshare" in the concrete practical reality there are limits when a member becomes too invested in a specific model simply because of the nature of the relationship, I have seen members tell support they want their % to go to the model they support or they will start supporting them through cashapp and onlyfans instead. This after learning from the model about the affiliate cut.

And I am going to break a plate for the locusts here by trying to show you the other side of the coin... When I worked on MFC I had a "whale" who spent around $200k in two years. Keeping him happy was time consuming and unnerving, would pester me offsite to talk my ear off about his psychotic mother and his fox terrier and expected me to counsel him, would take over my time, and wouldn't respect any boundaries. I didn't get rid of the guy (I should have) because I was inexperienced and he was the source of 30% of my income, but the fact remains I earned about $100k after MFC's cut and did intensive labor to get that. And out there, in the world, there was some dude who made $30k in the same amount of time while eating cheetos in his slacks... all he did was provide a popup to click on and wash his hands. I would have very gladly given up $70k if it meant I could skip his long winded story about his uncle's funeral and his dog getting irritable bowel syndrome. So to some models the fact that they have to put up with certain members every day makes them feel justified in stealing the affiliate's cut. They don't see the daily work behind the affiliate's traffic and they believe it is simply putting up a pop-up and going to bed.

In my opinion Chaturbate should explain very clearly to models what the role of the affiliate is and why it is important. They need to drill the idea into their heads so they understand why it is wrong to steal it by instructing existing members to create new accounts. Shaming tactics also work, we got people to stop smoking by teaching them why it is wrong and shaming those who didn't quit, it's a powerful tool but it has to be enforced from the top.
LiLi is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote