View Single Post
Old 11-07-2022, 05:04 PM  
Kittens
👏 REVOLUTIONARY 👏

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nr4d View Post
I will not argue that there are ALOT of incompetant psuedo-developers, the salaries of which have been driven up like crazy by outsourcing companies to the point where someone with zero experience, zero knowledge of programming labels themselves a "programmer" and gets hired by them.

I will however point out that those that worked only in frameworks in my experience didn't even understand the basic fundamentals of web development. They didn't understand how to prevent against SQL injection, XSS, etc. They had at most a vague understanding that these things exist but not how to exploit them or prevent them. They are lacking a lot of knowledge that they should have but don't.
I have nothing but respect for you, but there's some glaring issues I'm noticing here.

You're wanting someone who can do the job of MANY people. Understandable, this is an interesting thing I learned after leaving adult. Nowhere else is this type of thing expected. People focus on a subset of the overall problem and make sure they do that thing great. In adult "I want someone who knows the database, deployment target, security, design marketing and anything else, and I want them to be flawless in all of it!!"

But you know what is the biggest problem? Nobody in this fucking industry wants to pay the cost of having someone like that. So what happens? They hire someone who talks out of their ass, get's screwed over because that person charged a low rate that satisfied this person and got left screwed over.

Not to toot my own horn but I spent a long fucking time learning and gaining those skills, thankfully they're in heavy demand outside of adult... But they pay for it.

If I got an email from an adult person wanting me to do all of that shit, I wouldn't even respond to the email without a non-refundable deposit of $50k.

You gonna pay 50k for that? Doubtful.

That being said, I'm a former heavy contributor to Laravel and the ecosystem and have built my own frameworks to get the understanding of everything, and can do almost anything at scale in PHP. But will I write 100% vanilla PHP?

That 50k price tag just went up to $200k.

Basically what I'm saying is, you get what you pay for, and frankly this industry is bottom of the barrel pricing, everyone thinks they know everything and the people "paying" think that their $1k for 400 hours of work is "generous". Real engineers would laugh in your face coming sideways at them like that shit.