View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 02:02 PM  
drexl
Whale Hunter

Industry Role:
These dmca cowboys are in breach on 2 accounts:

1- they are not allowed to crawl websites without authorization, especially if it is written in your terms. (they need an identifiable bot with a header that can be blocked in robots.txt with a web page to explain its purpose. Besides, it uses hosting resources which in some case have a financial cost.)

2- It is illegal to file a false dmca claim. Essentially, they know that we have a non-exclusive license to use promo tools and that filing a notice is therefore not permitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretjeNL View Post
I always reply to Google with the "above" mail and that's it, never got problems, every time a mail back from Google that the URL is restored
Thanks PretjeNL

Whenever I can I delegate this task to the cam sponsor for many obvious reasons: they are the ones whom models have an agreement with, they are a trusted party, they have a legal department, they have the financial means, etc ... Don't forget a counter is the last step before a lawsuit, so you need to be sure (it's not always the good guy who wins in the real world, unfortunately).

But on occasion I file a counter myself. If a model wants out I don't bother, I just delete the page and show a 404. But if it is a "dmca company" that sends abusive notices, that is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markul View Post
It's amazing that no-one say this DMCA law coming back to hunt the industry like a big fucking evil boomerang.

And yes, it would be nice to sue the fuck out of those automated DMCA services and their clients.
I am interested to know of webmasters experience in the matter.

I have seen those dmca cowboys coming back relentlessly even after receiving counters from cam sponsors on my behalf. They clearly don't care, maybe someone needs to step up further.

How about a consortium of webmasters to help pay the lawyers upfront. There is only a handful of these malicious companies and they would quickly have to implement a whitelisting system.

Question: is cloudflare paid plan useful to identify/block crawling bots and in turns mitigate these malicious bots?
drexl is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote