View Single Post
Old 11-02-2023, 07:40 AM  
CurrentlySober
Too lazy to wipe my ass

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pheer View Post
I have been flying RC since 1985, thousands of flights with planes and helicopters. I've built my own drones (we called them quadrotors before the media started this drone bullshit) and owned several from DJI, including the Phantom 3, Phantom 4, original Inspire, original Mavic, and now just fly a Mini 2.

Compared to plane or especially a heli, a drone takes zero experience to fly. For a pilot like me, drones are not fun and pretty boring. But if you're never flown anything before it's going to be a lot of fun and may even lead you to trying a plane later.

On the mini 3, you press a button and it takes off. You press a button and it lands. It uses GPS to hold itself in a static position. If you think it's getting out of control, let go of the sticks and it will hover in place. The wind hardly affects it (within reason, don't fly in 30mph winds obviously) and it's so easy to fly that my 8yr old grandson flies mine.

Most people with these cool mini drones just use them to take photos. You can literally fly to wherever you want, take your photos, and press return to home. The drone will fly back to you and land all by itself.

DJI has done a good job of making a complicated aircraft that is hardly controllable by itself and added GPS, motion sensors, and autopilot that is so good, they are almost idiot-proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchMark View Post
I will probably order the DJI Mini 3 next week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lezinterracial View Post
Mr Pheer said is all...
Thanks guys - I should have added that I'm really thinking of it to use as part of my youtube channel - In order to grab the occasional view from above - That's why I wanted to know how much of a learning curve there is - I'm not interested in flying it for the sake of flying it - Just to use it as a simple tool from time to time, without it being to much of a performance...

PS- Cheers for the links NakedWomenTime, but I'm always skeptical of these 'Look how good / easy it is!' videos from youtubers, when they all have an affiliate link for you to purchase the drone. I mean, they are hardly gonna say, 'Well its a bit tricky' when they wanna make a commish
CurrentlySober is online now   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote