View Single Post
Old 11-28-2023, 06:35 AM  
celandina
Too lazy to set a custom title

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
"I do NOT give rat's ass how much traffic you would increase to my site, I only care about increase in revenue"

Understand now and this is why I wsa perplexed by this comment since someone who knows what they are doing is certainly aiming at traffic geared and directed for the content. When I say that the growth happens - I apologize that I didn't include the phrase "sales or revenue". So yes - as traffic goes up so does the revenue. That should go without saying - but I can only assume you've dealt with different individuals who've not succeeded in that. Most clients have told me that either it was the best couple of years in sales they've had OR in one case recently I started working on his site in Aug/Sept and he said just 2 weeks ago that for the 1st time in 2 years of operations he's actually going to break even because of the increased traffic leading to sales.

If anyone is just throwing traffic at your site that isn't directed - then you're absolutely right. Yet for me and other SEO people I know who are capable - increased traffic does mean increased revenue. Goes hand in hand.

" and somebody else from here who recently potentially wanted to upgrade and maintain my sites, and after I did tell him that I am a film maker and not a programmers ( and that I even do NOT know how to interpret my Google Analytics) , he told me, that it is my own fault that I do not know the difference between Blender and 4D Cinema. "

I simply can't image someone that is doing SEO for you would even comment on your abilities and choices. Never would I (or the SEO friends I know) ever boldly start putting blame onto the client. Also - the fact that the SEO person wasn't willing to make an effort to at least attempt to teach/train you in the workings of Analytics etc. is also wrong. Generally I have meetings throughout the week explaining and teaching exactly what I am doing for the purpose of building trust but also that I do not try to work my way into a lifetime job. If the client can learn how to do it successfully then it helps them because then I can merely check in or be available to questions if they feel strong enough to do it on their own. Yet - if they simply want me to continue - I still show them how and why I am doing various SEO techniques so they are aware of what's going on with their company. No one should capitalize on information from an owner but rather incorporate it so they can make informed decisions in the future whether it affects the site or not.

Back to my original point - I can now understand more why you've seemed to question more in detail which is great - and hopefully keep an open mind. You've been burned and also developed a lack of trust in those who's job should be to help your company grow. I hate the words "expert" or "guru" - in fact I've made comments about that. What i can say is I am well versed and read. If i don't know the answer than I work my ass off until I find it which may include talking to my inner network of veterans who can provide me with insights I may have missed. Do I know everything there is to know - well - no. But I sure as hell know the people who do. I will tell you or a client I don't know but will have an answer shortly and it will be the right one. I am learning every day - and being in the industry for as long as a veteran - that's a great deal of experience gathered that will benefit a client.
Ok I much appreciate your explanation and your time. Obviously you do respect and do not blame your clients. As usual around here, I did expect you telling me and am pleasantly surprised that that did not happen.

But to my core point, most "traffic" peddled around here is is not worth anything. At least from what I read here from others who know better. You saying "targeted" may be the magic word, yet whatever I decide in the future, MUST be based on proportionate increase in revenue : " targeted or not". If you ever come to some formulae then we can revisit the issue.
celandina is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote