View Single Post
Old 07-18-2024, 08:51 AM  
Brad Mitchell
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmister View Post
What sort of sites would benefit from cloud. Large tube sites?
Hi MrMister,

I think if you asked this question to 10 different people it's possible you'd receive 10 different answers. I don't think it's the case that the average user who is currently happy with their VPS or dedicated server should seriously consider moving. Customers can achieve scalability using lots of different technologies, or by leveraging a dynamic web host who can help them grow quickly, as needed. There are some inherent advantages to staying in dedicated and VPS platforms, which often include the following: lower storage latencies, higher storage IOP/s (operations per second), also cost advantages of either unlimited or more generous included bandwidth. In high performance environments that have heavy database loads, it's difficult to achieve the same performance as bare metal dedicated servers in a cloud environment, without use of cloud database-as-a-service or a hybrid/mixed environment. For that, we will be launching our service later this year, and this will really round out the opportunity for all use case examples to make our cloud a more fitting or superior solution across a wider range of use case examples.

Often times the most appropriate fit is where customer software is able to take advantage of it's inherent scalability, or where the customer really values reliability, though I would argue similar reliability can be achieved in dedicated environments when people are willing to spend appropriately. As with anything, when things aren't managed right, you're only as good as your design and your administrators.

I think the use case gets more interesting for medium and large organizations using platforms written for environments like Kubernetes, etc. Most of the companies we talk with about cloud are ones who are already using it, or companies who are developing new platforms and programming to take advantage of cloud environment features.

Finding current cloud users really lends to my excitement about launching MojoCompute. A lot of new development in our space is often done by devs from outside the space who knows nothing else but AWS. When we are able to analyze and explain their AWS invoicing and what it would look like with MojoCloud, we find absolutely huge financial wins. Our savings on core services such as compute, CDN, and especially savings related to data transfer really stacks up fast. I am working with a company now who has a 45k/mo AWS invoice, of which 11k is CDN, which is less than 1k with MojoHost. Our compute services are almost 70% less expensive, and when we being offering MojoDatabases, the savings will be similarly high. On average, I'm typically finding savings of around 60% off AWS invoicing.

The conversation about when is cloud a good fit is a nuanced one. I'm happy to do Zoom calls and evaluate client situations individually, as general advice is never the best. Honestly, I don't think the opportunity is meaningful enough for pay site or tube site owners using legacy software, so in these instances I would advise against this for my customers. Cloud is not less expensive, it's more expensive, and the nuances of supporting it pretty deep. So whereas we have a simple price add-on for dedicated and VPS support, for cloud environments that is all custom quote.

Brad