View Single Post
Old 08-19-2024, 08:07 AM  
MarcCabot
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Hi there!

New and just nosing around, noticed this and thought I'd respond. I have been a glamour photographer for 20 years using everything from the very first 6MP dSLR to a new Canon mirrorless ILC.

IMO the R5 (recently upgraded to the R5 MkII though the R5 is still available) is one Hell of a camera and with an inexpensive adapter can use every Canon lens made since 1987. The world's first ILC VR lens is an option for it if you decide you want to shoot VR, and you can also rent pretty much any kind of lens for it. However, it is extremely expensive for a still camera and very heavy. (I've used one.) It also gets really hot at max vid quality unless you get the battery grip with the fan, buy a third-party cooler, or get the C model with built-in active cooling.

I would suggest, depending on your budget, looking at the Canon R7, Canon's top of the line APS-C sensor camera. It has almost all of the pluses of the R5, including Canon's insanely good dual-pixel autofocus system, is much lighter, and doesn't overheat as badly. (Though any passively-cooled hybrid camera will overheat at max vid quality eventually.) It can use the smaller and lighter (and less expensive) RF-S lenses as well as all RF, EF, and EF-S lenses with the adapter. They've even announced a VR lens for it which will ship in a few months. While it does have a lower megapixel count than an R5, sensors have gotten so good that unless you are printing extremely specialized stuff you will never notice the difference. And it costs literally a third as much.

Hope that's useful to you!

Marc
MarcCabot is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote