GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What about OVH? (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1271038)

Lindo 07-11-2017 08:41 AM

What about OVH?

It's prices are outstanding. Less than 80$ for a baremetal server with 500Mbp/s UNMETERED?
It has no support, ok:
  • Long wait times to fix failures
  • Manage the server or pay&trust someone to do it

How is that it's presence on adult medium-sized websites its almost zero (to my knowledge)?
What's the catch?

3xmedia 07-11-2017 08:57 AM

what's your question actually?

lots of adult sites are hosted there.

Lindo 07-11-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3xmedia (Post 21883300)
what's your question actually?

lots of adult sites are hosted there.

lol, I might be blind. Could you please give me any example? The bigger the better.

Edit: I'm talking about tube sites, heavy bandwidth usage.

Panty Snatcher 07-11-2017 09:53 AM

thats not a problem

i have 2 servers there , just keep in mind it is bare metal .

THey have been responsive to me on my needs

myleene 07-11-2017 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindo (Post 21883315)
lol, I might be blind. Could you please give me any example? The bigger the better.

Edit: I'm talking about tube sites, heavy bandwidth usage.

I'm with them. They're excellent.

I know that avidolz.com and all their sites are also hosted there.

There are no catch. You have to do it 100% yourself, but you get specs +10x better than what you would get on most managed.

3xmedia 07-11-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myleene (Post 21884665)
There are no catch. You have to do it 100% yourself, but you get specs +10x better than what you would get on most managed.

True, and if you can't manage a server yourself you can still get a server from OVH and then use some server management service like https://www.platinumservermanagement.com/. They only charge $29/month.

Lindo 07-12-2017 07:15 AM

Thank for all the replies! This thread became pure gold.

Still, the given example of a website does not count, as it is a paysite which will not use a lot of bandwidth.
And from my own research, I could only find 1 medium-sized tube that is using OVH, the rest are mostly using CDNs for their videos bandwidth, which I dont understand since the prices per GB would throw an immense bill for a tube to deal with.

LokoWilli 07-12-2017 11:20 AM

OVH is not the service who has a big proxy blacklist ?

brandonstills 07-16-2017 04:36 PM

They are wholesellers. Catch is they only guarantee the network and the hardware. Everything else after that is your responsibility. You have to know your way around a server. They aren't going to hold your hand. If they can ping the machine, their job is done.

The good news is that everything is pretty much automated so there aren't the normal issues for the first few days that you have to work out when servers are manually provisioned. Often times with manually provisioned they forget to set things up completely or something isn't configured quite right.

They also have no US presence (although they are adding US data centers soon). Not having to deal with US regulatory laws probably means less overhead and thus lower costs.

I've had several servers with them. No issues. Never needed support. Fast servers and fast network. I'm currently syncing 1 TB of content to an object store and it is transferring at about 1 Gbps. :)

Yes, OVH servers are on a lot of blacklists. Not sure which ones but I tried to tunnel through my server and watch Netflix outside of the country and they don't allow OVH IPs. :(

reddygs 07-21-2017 02:34 AM

OVH prices are cheap because

24 hours is initial response to your query
Re-furbished Hardware from Ebay
They Suspend your server anytime for proxy and spam mails.
In case of termination they don't provide your data.

Bladewire 08-04-2017 09:06 PM

OVH the gift that keeps on giving :thumbsup

topadult 08-04-2017 10:04 PM

https://www.scaleway.com/ is a good alternative to OVH ;) Give it a try!

VRR 08-07-2017 06:31 AM

OVH's hardware is not branded and very often is a non-server grade one. You don't get much support at all unless you can prove something is wrong with the network or the server is off and won't start. This usually makes it a not very enterprise-grade service but at a very competitove price. If you plan to build an infrastructure in which you have failover and high-availability, they are a great solution. If you use only one or two servers with them and don't have an in-house engineer to fix stuff it could still work, but it's a bad idea. And they don't have US presence (Canada is good for east US tho) which is the rigjt market if your business model is ad-revenue based.

Barry-xlovecam 08-10-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LokoWilli (Post 21886012)
OVH is not the service who has a big proxy blacklist ?

You are going to have the same proxy blacklist problem with most data centers.
For billing servers that is a real issue for reason that much fraud is related to proxy and VPN use.
Netflix has licensing issues in different countries -- that is why they block known proxy and VPN servers.

Customers do not need to use VPN or proxy servers unless they are trying to hide something.

Stronach 08-11-2017 02:28 AM

I've used them many times for hosting applications and for the primary reason, their included DDoS protection can't be outmatched for the prices they charge and they have good up-time but as you already have heard many times, their support is very limited.

Although I've recently moved to cloud hosting (Amazon AWS) and I'm using external DDoS protection (Cloudflare) which is the best decision I've made, primarily because of ease of management such as upgrading/downgrading, load balancing and backups. The per hour payment basis is also really nifty especially since traffic can change rapidly and you want to be paying only what you need to.