GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   GFY Jobs and Services Market (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Business Moving A Domain (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1275274)

HairyChick 08-10-2017 07:06 PM

Moving A Domain

I registered a domain and changed dns to my host. Host wants an epp or auth code. Registrar just changes dns without giving a code. I've never had to use any code before. Is this a new domain policy or just my host being careful?

Denny 08-11-2017 01:37 AM

The thread title says "Moving A Domain", but from your post I'm not sure what you actually want to do. Move your domain from your current domain registrar to your host (some hosts are domain registrars too) or point your domain's NS to your host?

In 2nd case, I'm not sure would your host need an epp auth code from you unless they want you to transter the domain to them which I would not recommend. It's always better to keep your domains separate from hosts.

HairyChick 08-11-2017 03:45 AM

So just change nameservers? Did that. I'll ask host where to add domain name. Thank you

Denny 08-11-2017 04:28 AM

You can usually add new domains via cPanel (control panel) or just contact support.

j3rkules 08-11-2017 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 21945799)
You can usually add new domains via cPanel (control panel) or just contact support.

If you are on a managed hosting, they should do that for you.

blackmonsters 08-15-2017 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamWinterReturns (Post 21945118)
I registered a domain and changed dns to my host. Host wants an epp or auth code. Registrar just changes dns without giving a code. I've never had to use any code before. Is this a new domain policy or just my host being careful?

They only need epp or auth codes if you are changing registrars.
Giving someone those codes means they can transfer the domain into their account
and you will no longer own it.

:2 cents:

HairyChick 08-15-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackmonsters (Post 21955615)
They only need epp or auth codes if you are changing registrars.
Giving someone those codes means they can transfer the domain into their account
and you will no longer own it.

:2 cents:

Ah, thanks. Working with support now as cPanel errs on me. Same with Support so I'm not doing it wrong. I asked them to add it but explain how it was done.

Years ago I ran my own server so I'd just go to a dos prompt and add it. I think it was via Linux or ... can't remember. It was easy back then to do internal server stuff.

HairyChick 08-15-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3rkules (Post 21945859)
If you are on a managed hosting, they should do that for you.

True but they didn't offer and I wanted to learn. Now I've asked ...