GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Business movie makers (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1299844)

brassmonkey 06-08-2018 02:02 PM

movie makers

i have some movies that i wrote and want to protect before i get them pitched. alex Proyas i gave a bit and his place wants more. i swear if i get 100 mill im buying gfy. :1orglaugh:pimp:pimp

Bladewire 06-08-2018 02:07 PM

Good luck! You deserve it :thumbsup

kane 06-08-2018 02:26 PM

Register the scripts or treatments with the Writer's Guild.

brassmonkey 06-08-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kane (Post 22283906)
Register the scripts or treatments with the Writer's Guild.

yeah im over there. is there any other steps?

kane 06-08-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brassmonkey (Post 22283910)
yeah im over there. is there any other steps?

That's really about it. Another small thing you could do is print out a copy of it that has the date on it then take it to get notarized. It won't really do much more than the Writer's Guild registration will, but it will give you proof that you had this idea/story on a specific date.

celandina 06-09-2018 07:45 AM

Best and safest is to file with the US copyright office ...But this is called " poor man's copyright"....Print it, place it in well sealed envelope and send it to yourself via registerd mail. When you get it DO NOT open it, but save it for the rainy day ie: open it in the court room if needed...:thumbsup

mineistaken 06-09-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celandina (Post 22284156)
Best and safest is to file with the US copyright office ...But this is called " poor man's copyright"....Print it, place it in well sealed envelope and send it to yourself via registerd mail. When you get it DO NOT open it, but save it for the rainy day ie: open it in the court room if needed...:thumbsup

would this hold in court as 100.00% not opened and resealed? Even if it is obvious that it is not open, theoretically with the right equipment anything can be done.

Sly 06-09-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mineistaken (Post 22284221)
would this hold in court as 100.00% not opened and resealed? Even if it is obvious that it is not open, theoretically with the right equipment anything can be done.

If the person forged a stamp, instead of trying to prove copyright they would be busy fighting a federal felony.

celandina 06-10-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mineistaken (Post 22284221)

As I have said, only US copyright office will protect you, yet you still may end up in court to interpret if the breach is real or not. I believe a well sealed unbroken and registered envelope is the next best ( and the cheapest) thing. :2 cents:

mineistaken 06-10-2018 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celandina (Post 22284622)
As I have said, only US copyright office will protect you, yet you still may end up in court to interpret if the breach is real or not. I believe a well sealed unbroken and registered envelope is the next best ( and the cheapest) thing. :2 cents:

I perfectly understood that.

My question is - would this be taken as any proof.

If I am a judge and you give me that sealed envelope - I can not be 100% sure that you did not open and reseal it, so I would not take it as any kind of evidence.

Of course I am no judge and just speculating for curiosity.

CurrentlySober 06-10-2018 12:21 PM

Put some poo inside the envelope before you send it to yourself. That way, the poo contains your DNA and can be carbon dated to prove how long ago the letter was sent...

Poo can be a useful tool.