GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Right or Wrong: While shopping... (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=978575)

chopstick 07-18-2010 08:35 PM

Right or Wrong: While shopping...

Right or Wrong:

Is it right or wrong when you enter a store with a bag, purse, back pack or plastic bag the security staff tell you that you have to leave the bag at the door. You can have it back when you leave.

The reasons for this are obvious - theft control. However, grandma isn't the most likely thief on the block, and neither are most people. There's a lot to be said for a little discretion. Some good judgment. Some self respect.

I consider my actions (or inactions) to be votes. In this case, I vote against leaving my bag at the door (with a stranger). I will walk right past security with it, and if they want the bag I will leave the store and not shop there until I am not carrying anything.

Thoughts?

Spunky 07-18-2010 08:50 PM

Can't blame em..too many damn thieves out there

CYF 07-18-2010 08:50 PM

don't like it, don't shop there :2 cents:

BlackCrayon 07-18-2010 08:50 PM

i'd do the same thing though i never go into stores with bags..unless they are bags from other stores i was just at in the mall. the thing is, what kind of recourse would you have if say, you left your bag with iphone, laptop or whatever and when you went to leave they deny ever taking anything from you?

bdjerk 07-18-2010 08:57 PM

you live in the wrong neighborhood. live with the rich and they don't tolerate that shit.

WiredGuy 07-18-2010 09:06 PM

Let a grandma go and suddenly it becomes discrimination against teens and adults. Its better to uniformly screen everyone without exception.
WG

Elli 07-18-2010 11:26 PM

I've gone into stores with those signs and still have never been approached to surrender my bag. They tend to just screen the teens who loiter around suspiciously, as teens like to do.

WebCashMaker 07-19-2010 12:02 AM

I like to shop and then leave my bags at a check in counter so I don't have to carry them around.

When I am done I just pick them up.

So if they did away with those bag check ins, I could'nt use it for that purpose anymore.

AsianDivaGirlsWebDude 07-19-2010 12:13 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xwE0rBDpg1...funny-sign.jpg

ADG

kane 07-19-2010 12:14 AM

The reason they take everyone's bags is that they don't want to be sued. If they let you and grandma in then stop some black woman she or someone who they think looks "suspicious" that person could accuse them of profiling and might sue them.

ottopottomouse 07-19-2010 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdjerk (Post 17345186)
you live in the wrong neighborhood. live with the rich and they don't tolerate that shit.

+1

It's pretty much saying they think you're a thief - i'd be straight back out the door and spending my money somewhere else.

AsianDivaGirlsWebDude 07-19-2010 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdjerk (Post 17345186)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottopottomouse (Post 17345560)
+1

It's pretty much saying they think you're a thief - i'd be straight back out the door and spending my money somewhere else.

Yeah, rich people never shoplift...

http://blommit.com/wp-content/upload...na_ryder_2.jpg

If you need a safe place for your money, let me introduce you to:

http://media.nowpublic.net/images//1...f6a051e313.jpg

ADG

paymeback 07-19-2010 04:23 AM

Here they just inspect your bags on the way out at the checkout.

CaptainHowdy 07-19-2010 06:32 AM

I'm used to that...

Sly 07-19-2010 06:38 AM

I've never ran into this. I see people checking your receipts at the door often enough, but I've never seen anyone request my bags. Big-city thing?

12clicks 07-19-2010 07:04 AM

you find this practice in areas with high crime.
I, of course, have never encountered this

Serial Pervert 07-19-2010 07:10 AM

i think it's unpolite.

Ninja Scripts 07-19-2010 07:12 AM

I wouldn't turn over my bag, what if the check in person steals something from me?

justinsain 07-19-2010 07:26 AM

If for some reason I was stuck bringing a big bag into a store I would have no problem leaving it at the door with security.

I know that any type person can be a thieve from little kids to crack selling grandmas and they cannot discriminate so they have to make it a general rule for all.

As a business owner I understand what they have to do to protect their business. Shoplifting cost them money which they have to compensate by raising their prices. I'm willing to help them out by complying with their rules.

If I don't want to leave my bag I can take it back to the car or shop somewhere else. I find no fault with the store.

Side Story:

Lately I've noticed a new to me shoplifting technique and I was wondering if anyone else has heard or seen it.

A woman in her thirties with a small child pushes her cart up to the cashier in front of me. She has several items in the cart which she presents to the cashier and then starts to get her money out. The cashier leans over and says " what about that home theater stereo under the cart ". The woman acts surprised and says " what, oh I didn't know that was there and I don't want it ".

If the cashier missed the stereo the woman just rolls out the store and loads it in her car for free. If the cashier sees the stereo the woman can just deny she wanted it.

Seems like the perfect shoplifting technique except for the fact the woman would have been on security camera and they could tell whether she actually loaded the stereo or not.

Same thing at my grocery store as the cashier told me people try all the time to sneak stuff past them on the bottom of their cart.

There's lots of good people and lots of bad. I don't mind leaving my bag at the door :)

Raf1 07-19-2010 08:15 AM

I don't really get asked to leave any bags with security. I guess they're more trusting out here :)

Tom_PM 07-19-2010 08:37 AM

I shop online. That way I can leave my bags hanging out if I feel like it.

Elli 07-19-2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinsain (Post 17345913)
If for some reason I was stuck bringing a big bag into a store I would have no problem leaving it at the door with security.

I know that any type person can be a thieve from little kids to crack selling grandmas and they cannot discriminate so they have to make it a general rule for all.

As a business owner I understand what they have to do to protect their business. Shoplifting cost them money which they have to compensate by raising their prices. I'm willing to help them out by complying with their rules.

If I don't want to leave my bag I can take it back to the car or shop somewhere else. I find no fault with the store.

Side Story:

Lately I've noticed a new to me shoplifting technique and I was wondering if anyone else has heard or seen it.

A woman in her thirties with a small child pushes her cart up to the cashier in front of me. She has several items in the cart which she presents to the cashier and then starts to get her money out. The cashier leans over and says " what about that home theater stereo under the cart ". The woman acts surprised and says " what, oh I didn't know that was there and I don't want it ".

If the cashier missed the stereo the woman just rolls out the store and loads it in her car for free. If the cashier sees the stereo the woman can just deny she wanted it.

Seems like the perfect shoplifting technique except for the fact the woman would have been on security camera and they could tell whether she actually loaded the stereo or not.

Same thing at my grocery store as the cashier told me people try all the time to sneak stuff past them on the bottom of their cart.

There's lots of good people and lots of bad. I don't mind leaving my bag at the door :)

People do that quite often at the local grocery store, actually. It's kinda sad when you have to shoplift milk and bread for your babies. :(

sperbonzo 07-19-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chopstick (Post 17345161)
Right or Wrong:

Is it right or wrong when you enter a store with a bag, purse, back pack or plastic bag the security staff tell you that you have to leave the bag at the door. You can have it back when you leave.

The reasons for this are obvious - theft control. However, grandma isn't the most likely thief on the block, and neither are most people. There's a lot to be said for a little discretion. Some good judgment. Some self respect.

I consider my actions (or inactions) to be votes. In this case, I vote against leaving my bag at the door (with a stranger). I will walk right past security with it, and if they want the bag I will leave the store and not shop there until I am not carrying anything.

Thoughts?

This is what I love about Free Market Capitalism. the store has the freedom to put in whatever security they think that they need, and you have the freedom to put up with it, or not. If the store finds that they are losing too much business they have the freedom to keep the policy or not. It they keep it, someone else has the right to open a store that doesn't have those policies to pick up business from disgruntled ex-customers like you, etc, etc, etc....

All about choices baby!

:thumbsup

HomerSimpson 07-19-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky (Post 17345174)
Can't blame em..too many damn thieves out there

especially since the economic crisis...

umbralui 07-19-2010 11:19 AM

are people who can steal valuable things and have no baggage with them, good luck with that security whores..

fatfoo 07-19-2010 11:29 AM

You don't want to leave your bag with the strangers.
You might want them to have lockers and they give you a lock.

Sharky 07-19-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elli (Post 17346090)
People do that quite often at the local grocery store, actually. It's kinda sad when you have to shoplift milk and bread for your babies. :(

It's sad until you see them leaving the store in a new Lexus or Mercedes!

Chosen 07-19-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianDivaGirlsWebDude (Post 17345352)

:1orglaugh

CDSmith 07-19-2010 12:43 PM

It's not a question of is it right or wrong that they do that. It's about whether you want to shop there or not.

Their store, their rules.

Same with pay sites that offer members streaming video only, no downloading. You, as a paying member, either let your membership renew or you cancel and take your business to a site that allows people to download (and potentially steal, redistribute, profit from, etc).

Me, I understand the reasoning behind such policies. Can anyone honestly say they know what a thief looks like 100% of the time? No? Then the choice is clear... turn over your bag, shop somewhere else, or keep your backpacking and your shopping separate.

Me I tend to leave any stuff I may have with me locked in the trunk of my car when I go into a store.

Marcus Aurelius 07-19-2010 12:52 PM

I leave any bags i might have in my car.

Too bad you can't afford one.

J. Falcon 07-19-2010 12:56 PM

It's only logical that they ask you not to go in with bags. Do as they say or shop elsewhere.

sperbonzo 07-19-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharky (Post 17346657)
It's sad until you see them leaving the store in a new Lexus or Mercedes!

SHHHHHH!!!!!

(we aren't supposed to talk about that!)

Pics Traffic 07-19-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius (Post 17346757)
I leave any bags i might have in my car.

Too bad you can't afford one.

He's talking about shopping at big malls not here:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sNlG5wIg7Bc/SF...060708+014.JPG

John-ACWM 07-19-2010 01:06 PM

Of course it's not nice to be asked that when you have the best thoughts, yet they don't have a better solution for that.

Pics Traffic 07-19-2010 01:07 PM

I've never been in a store like that.

Tom_PM 07-19-2010 01:09 PM

Loss prevention people will teach you that it's not correct to stop and search someone even if you've seen them put something in their pocket. That is, not until they LEAVE the store! And then they tell you that no piece of merchandise is worth your life, so call the police, do not chase!

So naturally they want to just stop it before it becomes a loss prevention issue, or dangerous situation, or a civil suit because some part time bozo tackled an old man while he was still in the store and hadnt technically "stolen" a damn thing yet.

It happens.

Kiopa_Matt 07-19-2010 02:14 PM

Can't say I've ever been in a store like that either. Well, a few stores have signs saying no more than 2 or 3 teenagers inside at a time during school hours, etc...

If someone asked for my bag, I'd just turn around and walk out too.

L-Pink 07-19-2010 02:22 PM

This has to be a free-standing store in which case why didn't you leave the bag in the car? It can't be a mall store or you would need 20 people and a numbering system to keep track of the bags.